A summer squash that’s also known as courgette, the zucchini varieties best known in the U.S. were developed in Italy in the late 19th Century.
How to store
These baseball bat-shaped squash like cool, dry conditions. Refrigerate in a sealed plastic bag and use in 3-5 days.
How to prep
- Rinse under cool, running water
- This no-fuss ingredient is ready to be sliced, diced or shredded, depending on the recipe
For an impressive side to grilled steak or seafood:
- Slice zucchini in half, lengthwise, and sprinkle with salt
- Let stand for 10 minutes and dab off the excess moisture
- Brush with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and fresh ground pepper
- Grill for 10 minutes and serve